Saturday, January 19, 2019

Books: Big Magic

Today, I want to talk about books.

I must admit, I'm not the speediest or the most enthusiastic reader out there but I have gotten back into reading more in the past few years. I mainly enjoy what people call "Self-help" books. Now, I have to say I'm not too fond of the term "Self-help", it doesn't come with the best label. The way I see it, it's rather more of a "Self-care" or "Soul Development" kind of genre.



One of my most favorites is Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. Most of you may know her as the author of Eat, Pray, Love which was her best-selling memoir. Big Magic, however is a book about creativity and Gilbert's experience living life as a creative.

When I read Big Magic, I was in my very early stages of illustration. I had so much doubts, fear as well as many other roller coaster emotions. Reading Big Magic really reassured me that choosing this path was the right decision. Yes, it's difficult and it will continue to be. But through her words, I could see similar struggles people pursuing the creative life must go through in order to continue on this path.

Gilbert mentioned about fear and how many people never fully pursue the creative life out of fear. I remember almost giving up my long term goals since I was so scared it would be impossible. The latter chapters talked about persistence and this is what really helped me to stay focused on my goals. Through numerous rejections, competitions and my own self-doubt, persistence is what helps push through tough times.

Long story short, it's hard to explain in one post on how wonderful this book is. In the few years of  owning this book, I had re-read it many times, re-listened to the audio book again and again as well as recommended it to my friends. If you're someone who needs a little push and shove or someone who needs a little hug while you're trying to get to your goals, here's a good book for you.

Amazon link and review for Big Magic: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment